French Society for Ethnomusicology
The French Society for Ethnomusicology celebrated its 30th birthday in 2013. It has nearly 200 members in France and abroad, mainly among researchers, teachers and students of ethnomusicology.
It is subsidized by the Ministry of Culture (Music Division) as a learned society and is hosted by the musée du quai Branly - Jacques Chirac.
Its mission is to encourage, support and promote reflection on music of the world.
The SFE, is also a network of experts, who are active in institutions such as Unesco, the museums, festivals and media (written press, radios, TV, internet), who contribute in this way to the knowledge and dissemination of artistic and cultural expression of humanity.
Activities of the SFE
Organize Study Days twice a year. These give rise to encounters and discussions among the different actors of the discipline.
- Publish the Cahiers d’ethnomusicologie (the only Francophone journal in this field) in partnership with the Geneva Ethnomusicology Workshops (25 volumes published).
- Edit the collection of books “Hommes et Musiques” in partnership with the Ethnology Society (6 volumes published).
- Award the Bartók Prize every year to the best film on music during the International Jean Rouch Festival (formerly the Bilan du Film Ethnographique/Ethnographic Film Review).
- Assist the research of members of the Society: grants for field work for young researchers, provision of audio-visual material, assist with publications, multimedia and the organization of seminars and colloquia.
- Manage the present website, supplied collaboratively by all of the members. The multimedia platform also hosts audiovisual documents linked with different publications.
La Sociedad Francesa de Etnomusicología forma parte de las sociedades eruditas instaladas en el musée du quai Branly - Jacques Chirac. Puede escribirnos a la siguiente dirección:
Société Française d’Ethnomusicologie
musée du quai Branly - Jacques Chirac
222 rue de l'Université
75343 Paris cedex 07